Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: World Made by Hand



James Howard Kunstler’s World Made by Hand has been around a couple of years now, but I’ve just read it, and frankly, I’m underwhelmed. I previously read his non-fiction work The Long Emergency, and was quite impressed by that, and had high hopes for his novel. Alas, disappointment ensues.

The book takes place after a collapse of society precipitated by the confluence of peak oil, financial collapse and climate change. The resulting society is functioning at an 1800s, largely agrarian level of society, and where it is not, it is scavenging old technology and materials. The viewpoint character is the local carpenter and handyman, formerly in the computer and software business prior to the collapse.

The story is fairly slow to develop, and the pace of the book is almost languid in places. While the prose is well written, I found the plotting to be slow enough that I had to force myself not to skip ahead. The ‘exciting’ parts of the book are barely that, in my opinion, and the novel is unlikely to keep you on the edge of your seat.


The main problem I have with the book is that it almost completely glosses over how the characters in the book evolved the current society, and doesn’t really show anything of the devolution and collapse that preceded it. If you’re looking for a book from which you can draw a lot of lessons in survival, this isn’t it.

As entertainment, it is okay, a decent enough read, as far as it goes. I would recommend borrowing it from your local library rather than laying out hard earned cash.

I just looked at how short the review of this book is, and maybe that’s the telling point: There just isn’t much to say about this book, good or bad. It just misses the mark completely, and falls somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted July 10, 2011 @ MPN

No comments:

Post a Comment