Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Shanks and Mares




I just posted an article on bug-out vehicles over on the Manitoba Preppers site. In it I was rational and explained why I thought relying on a bug-out vehicle was unwise, giving reasons and being polite. Since this is my turf, I can be less than polite.

In a nutshell: If you are relying on a car to get you to your place of safety, you’re an idiot. The chances of making it with the vehicle? Maybe 50-50 at best, unless you’re psychic and leave the week before the end of the world.

So maybe you should think of alternatives. Next week, I’m going to write a nice little article on MPN talking about alternatives. It’s bullshit to an extent. The only real alternatives to consider are horses and feet. The reason for this is simple.

The only true off road vehicle is man. People can go places where no vehicle will ever be seen. We can cross through terrain that vehicles cannot even attempt. Horses are a close second, and can carry a pretty good load to boot. So my ideal bug-out vehicle if I had my druthers?

A riding horse and a pack horse. Or maybe two pack horses. They carry a good load, fuel is easy to find, and they make their own replacements. Let’s see a Land Rover do that.

But if you don’t own horses, you do own feet. I’m betting that most of use will need to get more use to walking and using our feet in the coming years. Prepare for using yours now. Do more walking and hiking, get good shoes and plenty of them. Walk with a pack so you can become used to carrying a load.


It’s not rocket science. It’s just commonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment