Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mr. Blogger's Neighbourhood, Part Deux


In the first installment of Mr. Blogger’s Neighbourhood, we discussed being aware of the potential threats in your region. Today I want to talk to you about another side of being well acquainted with your locality, whether in a small town, a large city, or the middle of the wilderness. I want to ask you if you know, really know, your neighbourhood, whatever form it might take?

The reason I’m thinking about this is because recently I was very surprised to find a route in my local area of which I was completely unaware. This surprised the hell out of me, because I’ve always felt that I’ve thoroughly explored and knew the lay of the land wherever I’ve lived. I’ve made a point of ensuring I knew every way in or out of the area, what resources might exist nearby and so on.

When I first moved into the area, I conscientiously walked every point of the compass, noted all of the significant features and out of the way trails I could travel, and the places where I might hole up if the need arose. I checked the availability of resources, animal and vegetable, as well as making sure I knew where I might find useable water. I even mapped (using google) those areas that were off limits for one reason or another to fill in any blank spots in my knowledge.

These are all steps I feel that any reasonable person should take in becoming prepared, and I was fairly confident that I had covered all the bases. (Confidence is the state of mind where things are most likely to rear up and bite you in the backside, by the way...) Over the next few years, I wound up travelling most of my immediate area regularly in the course of recreation and the travel necessitated by my daily routine. And routine is what got me.

Although I kept up with changes in most places, there was one area that I never got back to, for a variety of reasons. I was aware of and noted changes in most of my neighbourhood, but got into a rut and failed to make regular checks of the area I had not regularly travelled. Thus, it came as a shock when an errand took me through the neglected sector and I found a footpath had been cut through some very dense brush down to an area of the riverbank I had considered inaccessible to all but the most determined. The wide new path (which took quite a bit of work for someone to create) led along the bank for quite a distance until it was only a short and easy push through some grass and up to a hill that overlooks one of my usual rambles. As I stood atop the hill, I realized that I had gotten over confident, and resolved to make sure I recheck all parts my area at least quarterly.

I realize it doesn’t seem like a big deal, but awareness of your physical surrounding is at least as important as situational awareness regarding people. A change in geography might be minor and of no consequence, or it might mean that an escape route you planned on is cut off when you need it, a resource you had counted on has disappeared, or that you are less secure and safe than you think.

Changes can occur for a variety of reasons. Shortly after I resolved to recheck my local area, we had quite a bit of weather here in Manitoba. We had lots of rain and lots of strong winds. I went for a walk the next day and found that several of the trails I frequent, while passable with work, were partly blocked by fallen trees. Some low lying areas were flooded, and a lot of detouring ensued. The flooding will cure itself, but some hours of quiet cutting with my collapsible saw will be required to restore some of my routes. On the up side, I can use the firewood.

I’m not advocating that you play Rambo Hood and spend all your free time traipsing through the countryside here. I am saying that it is worth your while to get off of your couch and/or usual path, out of the rut, and see what’s new in your area. Heck, it’s even fun. Grab your bike or your hikers, your favourite dragoness and a picnic lunch and make an afternoon of it. It will relax you, entertain you, and perhaps make you a little fitter. It will certainly make you much more cognizant of what’s going on around you, and thus better prepared. And being prepared is what it’s all about.
Welcome to the neighbourhood.

Originally posted June 2, 2010 @MPN

No comments:

Post a Comment