Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Power to Go


I’d like you to consider a purchase. That purchase would be a mobile booster pack. These are essentially a 12-volt battery sealed in a case, with integral booster cables provided. I got one of these last winter after my car battery decided to play dead. I found it did the job very well, and I believe it is a very valuable thing to have as part of your automotive preparations.

But as they say in the infommercials: WAIT! There’s More!

Mobile power packs come in various configurations with different combinations of features. Some models, such as the one pictured above, come with an integral air compressor. I’ll describe the one that I know, but be aware that there are a lot of options out there


The model I bought has a nifty little 6 LED rechargeable flashlight that can be turned on as it sits on the charger or detached and carried with you. Given the power draw of LEDs, and that it is sitting on a fully charged battery, you’re likely to get a lot of hours of illumination.

The unit also provides a USB receptacle for charging electronic devices. It is not meant as a direct power source for running electronics, and the manufacturer warns against it in the manual.

More useful for me is the provision of two 12-volt lighter style power sockets. This gives you the capability of powering some very handy things in case of a power outage. At the moment, I have only some DC lights and a cooler that I can plug into it, but I’m researching other devices.

These include but are not limited to lights, coffee makers, fans, heaters, sandwich makers, heated blankets, portable stoves, food processor, portable oven, crock pots and popcorn poppers. Likely I’ll stay away from the high power options such as the stove and ovens. I’m seriously considering a coffee maker and a heated blanket, though.


As to recharging, you can use the wall mounted adapter or (surprise!) it can be charged from a vehicle with it’s own cigarette lighter adapter.

Is this the best option for backup power? Absolutely not. It is however, away of having at least lights in a power failure, and perhaps providing a little warmth or a warm beverage. I see it as one more tool in the prepper’s toolkit.

And of course, you can always use it for its intended purpose of boosting a car!

Originally posted May 13, 2010 @MPN

No comments:

Post a Comment