Sunday, May 8, 2011

Everyday Carry: The Unseen Kit on Your Person



The subject of the everyday carry kit has been extensively written on by many people. The main objection I have to most of the articles I’ve read is the bulk involved in many of the recommended kits. The reason for this is twofold.

The first problem is in the sheer number and variety of items that are recommended, everything from pencils to pry-bars. There is an old military adage that goes: ‘He who tries to defend everything defends nothing’. The same goes here. You just cannot carry enough on your person to cover every contingency. If you try, you’ll wind up with a bag full of crap that you won’t take with you, and when your ‘EDC’ is sitting on the hall table because you just don’t want to be bothered carrying it that day, it’s useless. Taken to extremes (and you can find examples on Youtube) what you have is something that weighs too much, is conspicuous as hell, and looks more like a full sized BOB. And as an unfortunate side effect, it might look like a burglary kit to a LEO having a cranky day,

The second problem, and related to the first, is that once you’ve gone beyond what fits in your pockets or on your belt, you’ve strayed into the territory of the get home kit or the B.O.B. Again, it is just my opinion, but if you can be separated from your gear by losing a handbag or briefcase, then it’s not my idea of everyday carry. Watching some video of people fleeing during the recent Japanese earthquake with nothing but the clothes on their backs should bring this point home to you.

Before we go any further, let me state that I am not opposed to having gear in a bag, briefcase or purse. For women, whose normal business or street attire generally has few pockets or other areas to conceal items, a purse might be the only way to go. I’ll even concede that women may be less likely to be separated from vital supplies in a purse by the very nature of how and where they are carried. That said, I’m still not completely happy with the idea of relying on any gear that has to be remembered.

For me, EDC means that whatever gear I’m carrying is largely invisible, light, useful and always on my person. I’ll detail what I carry, and mention some alternatives. We’ll start with my key ring.

Firstly, I don’t carry many keys. Car, house keys front and back, bike lock and a mailbox key are about it, and the key ring fits in my pocket. In addition, there is an old Sears 4-way screwdriver attached to the ring. I dislike the ‘biner’ type key rings with twelve things attached to them. Sooner or later you don’t want the keys in your pocket, and they get left in or on something, along with whatever gear is with them. But if you want to attach a couple of things like a pill-case or mini flashlight, go to it. Just make sure you dump that half- pound, plate sized “Sexy Beast” key ring you’ve been using when you add something worthwhile.

I also carry a wallet. In addition to the normal things like identification, credit cards, and money, I also carry an un-lubricated condom or two. While you might think I’m a cad on the make, the real reason I carry it is that it makes a rather nifty water container if placed in a sock for support. Additionally, you might want to carry something like a pocket magnifier or a more elaborate device such as a Swisscard in your wallet or purse. I tend to sit on my wallet and bend everything in it, so I try to keep as little as possible in it.

I wear a watch, which most of us do in modern society. While mine is a basic timepiece, you can pack quite a bit of interesting stuff into modern timepieces, including an altimeter, barometer, digital compass, and thermometer, all for not much more than a basic watch costs. I’ve also seen watches with thumb drives incorporated into the watchband. Really, there is a plethora of interesting options for wrist wear, including the old standby of watchbands braided from paracord.

The one piece of gear that I do wear in plain sight is on my belt. I always carry a Victorinox ‘Huntsman’ with me which I like for the blend of tools contained and it’s light weight and un-threatening appearance. I’ve added a mini screwdriver that stores in the corkscrew, as well as a straight pin that fits into a hole on the handle. I don’t usually carry a multi tool, but that might suit others better. Either one is innocuous in appearance and quickly becomes ’invisible’ to the people around you, and of course either could be carried in a purse as easily. You might even want to carry a small survival kit or selected other gear on your belt in a small pouch, preferably one resembling a cell phone holster.

In all seasons, I tend to wear a suit coat, jacket or parka. In whatever coat I have on that day, I carry a small first aid kit, a miniature LED flashlight, a miniature compass, and a small lighter. I also carry a knife, (one that is legal for where I live), the Wedge by Outdoor Edge. It is small, easy to carry and comes with a lanyard and a swivel clip that give you interesting carry options.

I could carry more, but I feel relatively comfortable with the amount I have, which is considerably more than the average person carries. It is all unseen, and most importantly, what I carry is on my person at all times. I don’t need to remember to take a separate kit.

Remember, there are lots of options for unseen everyday carry besides the ones I’ve described. I’m not usually a hat wearer, but let’s say you are. Buy a Tilley hat, which are available for both men and women in a variety of styles. Many of them boast a secret pocket into which you might slip extra cash, a Swisscard, or whatever else you think you need. The only limit is your own imagination.

What you carry and where you carry it are up to you, but remember to make sure that it’s with you.

Originally posted March 12, 2011 @ MPN

No comments:

Post a Comment