Sunday, May 8, 2011

Flu: The Scoop



Although spring is approaching, I want to write about something most of us consider a winter topic: influenza. I have heard people for years state that they had a ‘touch of the flu’ or a ‘bit of a stomach flu’. These people are liars. You either have influenza or you don’t. Everything else is mere transient viruses. I know because I caught influenza this year.

I have had colds and coughs previously, but I believe this is the first time I’ve actually had influenza. I had a high fever, chills, cough, stuffed up nose, body aches, headache, watering eyes and fatigue. The only major symptoms I missed were abdominal cramps and diarrhea (thankfully).

This might not sound like a big deal, but to someone in a situation where they needed to be active, it could be fatal. For an entire week, I was unable to do anything more than try to get well. I had chills so violent I couldn’t even butter bread. What if I’d had to get a fire started? I’m sure that for a couple of days I lacked enough co-ordination to light a match.

During the first week, I coughed, sneezed and when I slept I moaned and snored (so I’m told). It would have made keeping a low profile in a survival situation a little more difficult. Again, if my life depended on stealth, I would have been in trouble.

The combination of body aches and fatigue were dreadful. My ability to do any kind of useful work was almost zero. Travelling any distance on foot would have been impossible and doing hard physical labour like collecting firewood likewise unlikely. Again, the consequences for survival are obvious.

However, after the first week, I was getting better. I had avoided any complications like pneumonia, and was definitely on the mend. That did not mean I was suddenly all right. For another week, I experienced most of my symptoms in declining severity, with the exception of fatigue, which was still a significant factor. It took another full week before I could get back to work, and it took a full three weeks before I was close to 100% better.

During my illness, I lost almost 7 pounds (a little more than 3 kilograms). While I needed to lose the weight, it’s not a method I recommend, and in a crisis, where you might already be malnourished, that much weight loss might not be something you can afford. Malnourished and without medicine, I might have been sicker for a longer period, developed complications, or even died. All of which are not good outcomes for me or my group in a disaster.

This brings me to the point of today’s post: Get a flu shot.

Yes, I know that the medical types are only making their best guess when they formulate the vaccine. I also know that it won’t always prevent you from getting the flu, though I believe in those cases, it shortens intensity and duration. I also think over the years, multiple vaccinations may confer an advantage against newer flu strains, although this is my own idea developed from anecdotal evidence.

So why you ask, did I get the flu? Because I’ve never had a flu shot. Although I boast several vaccinations most others don’t have, I never got a flu vaccination. I intended to do so, but since I had never had the flu, and rarely get colds of any sort, I just didn’t get around to it. Good intentions, shitty follow through. Possibly a case of thinking I was invulnerable.

So next year, you’ll find me at the head of the line, sleeve rolled up, and waiting for my shot. I also intend to review my present vaccinations to ensure that I’m current, and to see if there is anything besides the flu shot I should get.

Getting the flu was a learning experience.
I learned that I had a blind spot in my preps.
I learned that I am not invulnerable.
I learned that a minute at a clinic can save days or weeks, and possibly lives.

That’s what this winter taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment