Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Where's My Magic Eightball?




First, let me wish you all a Happy New Year and I hope you’ve all had a decent holiday season overall. I realize the greeting is a bit late, but it is still the first week of 2011. Seeing that it is so early in the year, though, how do we think it will unfold? I have some areas I’m concerned about.

First, I believe that the Western economy/financial situation will continue to sputter along for another year. That doesn’t mean that things are in any sense healthier in that area, and I also believe there are a few potential ‘bombs’ out there that might result in a worse financial crisis than that of 2008. I recommend that everyone get as squared away financially as possible, reducing or eliminating debt and ensuring that their ability to purchase goods and services is in some way protected.

Second, I’m quite concerned with the weather. It’s been a weird winter that followed a strange spring and summer, weather-wise. I’m not predicting terminal global warming or another ice age, depending on what side of the argument you’re on, but be prepared for strange weather. Implications for agriculture are particularly serious. You might want to plant a wider variety in the garden this year, and double check your preparations for severe weather events. Just an idea….

I’m also concerned with the price of oil. It is above $90/bbl, and I feel it could well be higher by the end of the year, perhaps by as much as $30/bbl. This will affect everything from home heating to the cost of manufactured goods. Make sure you’ve an alternate to petroleum based transportation. Do it now.

And that of course fires into an increase in agricultural inputs, which will push already rising food prices higher. We are already seeing sharply increased prices in some areas, and MUCH higher prices are predicted for items such as chocolate and coffee, among other things. In fact, due to crop losses last year, we are in as much of a food ‘crisis’ as in 2008, and it is only the fact that many Third World countries had very good crops for once, as opposed to critical failures such as wheat in Russia, that has prevented a crisis from becoming full blown. How is your food storage program coming along?

I don’t see warfare, either conventional or asymmetric, as being a significant threat to us here in Manitoba. EMP events are unlikely, and alien invasion even less likely.

However, it may well be a very wet spring here on the prairies, and flooding is almost certain in some areas. If you’re at risk come spring, you might think about some simple preps now, such as getting the family album onto the second floor…..

There you go. Not a very detailed set of predictions, but those are the areas I’m keeping my eyes on. How about you guys? Any particular areas of concern for 2011?

Originally posted January 5, 2011 @ Manitoba Prepper's Network

No comments:

Post a Comment